ROOM was severely damaged in a fire at a Moretonhampstead flat this afternoon, Friday.

Three Fire Engines from Ashburton, Chagford and Bovey Tracey dealt with the blaze from 3.30pm.

A spokesperson for Fire Control said: ‘Upon arrival crews confirmed that there was smoke issuing from the first floor flat.

‘The total damage caused was reported as 90 per cent smoke damage to the room of origin of the fire and 40 per cent fire damage, and then 30 per cent smoke and water damage to the remainder of the property.

‘The cause is believed to be accidental.’

‘Throughout the incident crews used: Four breathing apparatus; one hose reel jet; one safety jet; one thermal image camera; one triple extension ladder and a Makita saw.’