ARMY cadets from a leading independent school in Devon recently took a trip to Exeter to remember a Devonian soldier who fell in the Gallipoli campaign of 1915.

Cadets from Stover School Combined Cadet Force recently marked the anniversary of the death of Captain Garth Neville Walford VC, acting Brigade Major of 29th Division Royal Field Artillery, who was killed in action in 1915 at Gallipoli, Turkey. 

At the end of WW1, a memorial plaque to Capt. Walford was placed in the nave of Exeter Cathedral, it was here the cadets travelled to remember the brave Devonian.

A short memorial service was arranged and conducted by the school and Cadet Force Chaplain, the Reverent Fiona Wimsett, with readings from junior cadets and wreaths laid by a Cadet Sergeant on behalf of the school.

Major Mike Hawkes, formally of 29 Commando Regiment, laid a wreathe on behalf of the Royal Artillery, with whom Stover School's cadets are affiliated.

Capt. Walford was born at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst where his father was a senior instructor.

He followed his father into the Royal Artillery and was severely injured in the retreat from Mons in August 1914.

Having recovered, he was assigned as a staff officer to 29th Division Royal Field Artillery within the Mediterranean Marine Expeditionary Force as part of the ill-fated Gallipoli campaign.

He landed at 'V' beach below the village of Sedd el Bahr only to be faced by sustained fire from both the fort and village on the cliffs above the beach.

The men of the division suffered heavy casualties, all but one of the senior officers were killed.

Survivors found shelter under the cliffs and in the early hours Capt. Walford joined the only other surviving senior officer, Lieutenant Colonel Doughty-Wylie, and organised the men into two sections, with Walford leading one section they attacked both the village and fort.

Following heavy, and at times hand to hand fighting, the men of the division prevailed and routed the defenders but at the very moment of victory both Capt. Walford and Lt. Col. Doughty-Wylie were shot and killed.

Both men were awarded the Victoria Cross for their gallantry.