Operation Scorpion is a joined up collaboration between the five police forces in the South West region (Avon and Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire), alongside their respective offices of Police and Crime Commissioners, the British Transport Police, South West Regional Organised Crime Unit (SW ROCU) and the charity Crimestoppers to combine resources to tackle drug supply in the region and make the South West a hostile environment for drugs.
A police spokesperson said: ‘The focus of this phase is on the impact of drugs within our local communities and the intelligence police forces need from the public to help disrupt the South West drugs market, dismantle drugs supply networks and arrest those who profit from them.
The first phase of Operation Scorpion took place in March 2022 and resulted in:
- 194 arrests in connection with drugs related offences
- 55 warrants carried out
- 400 drug line disruptions
- £404K (at least ) of suspected drugs seized
- £131K(at least) of cash seized
- 320 vulnerability / welfare checks carried out and people safeguarded
- A vast array of weapons seized including tasers, knives and machetes.