BUCKFASTLEIGH Firefighters have put out some advice on electrical equipment after helping to put out a fire in a conservatory.

They took to Facebook to warn people: ‘On Sunday we assisted our friends from Ivybridge Fire Station and Ashburton Fire Station at a fire in a conservatory in South Brent which was spreading to the kitchen area.

‘The officer in charge immediately deployed two breathing apparatus wearer’s who using a high pressure hosereel made a fast attack on the fire and prevented further spread within the property.

‘Early investigations suggest that the fire was started by a battery charger, as a service we attend many electrical fires each week.

Below are some guidelines to help keep your property safe when using electrical equipment of this type.

Only buy an appliance if it has a British or European safety mark on it.

Unplug appliances at night or when you’re not using them.

Charge appliances like laptops and phones on a hard surface like a table. Only charge them when you’re awake and in the house

Don’t put items on top of electrical equipment, cables or lamps.

PICTURED: The damage caused to the conservatory by a fire that is believed to have been started by a battery charger. Picture: Buckfastleigh Fire Station