A fire broke out in an airing cupboard at a remote home in Chagford yesterday (Friday).

Fire control received a call to alarms sounding and smoke shortly after 9am. They sent fire appliances from Chagford, North Tawton and Bovey Tracey.They also mobilised a 4x4 vehicle due to poor access. 

Firefighters and equipment had to be carried from the nearest road to the property using the 4x4 and confirmed there was smoke in property and crews were entering the property using two breathing apparatus and a thermal imaging camera. 

‘Due to amount of crew and equipment required at the incident, a second 4x4 appliance was requested. 

‘Crews discovered a fire within an airing cupboard that was believed to be out.

‘Crews removed contents of airing cupboard and stripped back material to check for hotspots. Crews used two Breathing apparatus, one fogging unit, small tools and a triple extension ladder. 

‘Once all equipment and crews were returned to the appliances, the incident was handed back to the property owners and crews returned to their home stations.’